How To Fit The Wabco Compressor Repair Kit From Bagpipingandy
- Audi Allroad C5 (2000 to 2005) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Audi Allroad C6 (2006 to 2011) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Audi A8 / D3 / 4E (2002 to 2010) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Audi Q7 (2005 to 2013) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- BMW X5 / E53 (2000 to 2006) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- BMW 5 Series / E39 (1997 to 2008) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Jaguar XJ (2003 to 2010) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Land Rover Discovery 2 (1998 to 2004) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Mercedes E Class – w211 (2002 to 2009) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Mercedes S Class – w220 (1998 to 2005) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Porsche Cayenne (2002 to 2010) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- Range Rover Mk 3 / L322 (2002 to 2005) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
- VolksWagon Touareg (2002 to 2010) - UK ebay listing USA ebay listing
See all listings in Bagpiping Andy's Kirbie Engineering USA and UK ebay store
Bagpiping Andy's repair kit
If you are experiencing excessive noise from your vehicle's air suspension compressor, a reduced rate of rise or even failure to rise then the trouble is probably due to wear of the compressor's piston ring. If this is the case Bagpiping Andy's repair kit can help you. Tens of thousands of these kits for the Arnott-Wabco air compressors have been sold worldwide, correcting the problem and saving the vehicle owner hundreds of dollars.
In the past replacement parts were not available leaving car owners with the expensive solution of replacing the whole compressor.
Fortunately Bagpiping Andy's repair kit is a cheap solution costing £25 in the UK or $41 in the USA. You no longer need to buy a brand new compressor and the video guides further down the page will show you how simple it is to repair your air suspension compressor.
The repair kit is available on ebay through the links below, choose the UK or USA listings for your vehicle. If you require guidance on replacing the worn piston ring or would like to see how simple the repair / refurbishment is please watch the video repair kit fitting guides below.
What you get in the kit
1x Precision machined PTFE piston ring.
2x Cap screws with thread-lock pre-applied.
1x Set of plastic cable ties.
1x Printed instruction manual.
1x M6 tap for cleaning bolt threads.
T30 Torx bit
5mm allen key
Compressed air (optional)
Repair Kit Video Fitting Guides
We have two video guides showing how to fit Bagpiping Andy’s Wabco Air Suspension Compressor repair kit, choose the video for your car model.
Video 1 - Replacement of the piston ring seal in the air suspension compressor fitted in following models:
- Audi allroad
- Audi A8, Audi Q7
- Landrover Discovery 2
- Jaguar XJ series
- Mercedes S & C-Class
- VW Touareg
- Porsche Cayenne.
Video 2 - Replacement of the piston ring seal in the air suspension compressor fitted in following models:
- BMW X5 & 5 Series
- Range Rover L322 MK 3
Fitting procedure summary
- First remove the compressor from the car. Click here for removal details for your model.
- Clean the area to be stripped, to prevent debris falling into the unit. Then remove the plastic air intake hose by pulling gently on the pipe while pushing the collar inwards, leaving the T-piece attached to the compressor.
- If a temperature sensor is fitted note the position on one of the torx bolts then remove the two Torx bolts.
- Lift the compressor assemby off the motor, using gentle leverage if required. Note the position of the O-ring seal.
- Note the orientation of the old piston ring in relation to the tube like timing pin.
- Remove the old piston ring by stretching it over the top of the piston.
- Using the new bolts, clean the 2x threaded bolt holes which hold the cylinder on. Use the M6 x 1.0 pitch tap or use the old bolts to remove any corrosion in the threaded hole. The pre-applied thread lock on the new bolts requires a good quality M6 thread.
- Fit new piston ring by stretching it over the piston, making sure it is in its correct orientation fitting around the small timing pin, the pin should be visible and the ring should be free to move slightly.
- Thoroughly clean any dirt from mating surfaces and cylinder bore then refit the cylinder over the piston and motor, ensuring the rubber O-ring seal is fitted correctly. Use only 1 O-ring, whichever one is compatible.
- Refit usingb the 2 new bolts provided. If required refit the temperature sensor back on the same bolt position it was removed from. DO NOT over tighten these bolts. The recommended tightening torque is 9Nm.
- Refit back on to the vehicle. Follow the compressor removal steps in reverse. Use the cable ties to tidy cables in place.
The repair kit story
To hear a little about how Bagpiping Andy's repair kit came about and about how Tosh Lubek Productions helped Andy Fulton watch the video below.
In this video Andy Fulton, aka Bagpiping Andy, explains how he had a problem with his Audi Allroad's Wabco air suspension and how that got him thinking about a solution to fix the faulty compressor. The usual car dealership solution was to replace the whole compressor, which could cost several hundred pounds or dollars, but Andy realised that the problem was likely to be a worn part in the compressor.
Being an engineering professional in the aerospace industry Andy had all the necessary experience and tools to help him investigate what was at the heart of the problem. He naturally assumed that a moving part would be to blame and his first suspect was the piston ring seal. Upon dis-assembly of his car's air suspension compressor his suspicions proved correct, the piston ring seal showed signs of significant wear.
Like many people who are passionate about their work Andy's engineering career is a reflection of his hobby, so in his garage you will find a Colchester lathe with 4-jaw chuck, an Alexander universal milling machine, raw material store, tools of every description and testing facilities. It is here that Andy developed his prototype replacement piston rings that successfully fixed his air suspension compressor.
What started as an attempt to save on a repair bill lead to Andy offering his replacement piston rings to members of the Audi AllroadFAQ Forums, who were impressed. Word spread and requests began to flood in for a piston repair kit. Although Andy was able to supply a small number of kits it soon became apparent that if he was to satisfy demand he would need to out source some of the basic work and only do the the final manufacturing himself. He bought in other parts like replacement bolts, O-rings and cable ties and so the air suspension compressor repair kit was born.
Andy started selling the kit on ebay in the UK but soon found there was worldwide interest in his repair kit. He now sells it on 10 national ebay platforms and has a distributor in North America. What started as a garage project for his own Audi Allroad developed into a part time hobby business and now is virtually a full time job.
The only problem Andy had was dealing with the number of customer service calls. Despite having printed instructions less experienced customers were fitting the kit incorrectly and Andy saw that he needed a video guide to demonstrate how to fit the piston ring. Andy turned to Tosh Lubek Productions for the video and after a successful shoot in Andy's kitchen and garage he had two video guides for use on his website and ebay listings. The videos not only helped buyers fit the piston ring correctly (Andy saw a dramatic fall in customer service calls) but they also helped boost sales by 150-200%. By showing how easy it was to fit the replacement piston ring viewers gained the confidence to buy and do the job themselves. Furthermore, main car dealerships saw that the kit was a serious product and began to buy in order to refurnish their customer's Wabco air compressors.
Andy Fulton (aka Bagpiping Andy), the seller of the repair kit can be contacted by email or phone. Mobile: +44 (0)7767838330 E-mail: email@example.com
Please note the above ebay links are affiliate links and I may earn a small amount if you purchase Bagpiping Andy's repair kit.